Follow these steps to request a child support modification

Paying child support is important, as this gives you the opportunity to provide for your child after your divorce. Unfortunately, there may come a time when your financial circumstances change, thus impacting your ability to make regular payments in full.

Here are the many steps to follow if you need to request a child support modification:

  • Don't delay: It's common to put this off, hoping that you can work everything out on your own. If you do this and your financial problems persist, you'll find yourself in an even worse situation.
  • Learn more about Arizona laws and your rights: You shouldn't assume you'll qualify for a child support modification. You need to understand the laws in your state that govern when this is possible.
  • Talk to the other parent: It may mean swallowing your pride, but it can help in many ways. If the other parent agrees to a child support modification, the court is more likely to follow suit.
  • Document your financial changes: It's your job to prove to the court that you can no longer afford to make your original payment. By documenting your change in circumstances, it's easier to get approval.
  • Keep up with payments: You can't stop paying what's required by law until the court approves your modification request. Keep making your payments to the best of your ability, even if it puts stress on other areas of your finances.

When you follow these steps, you'll find it easier to confidently request a child support modification. With success, you'll no longer have to make payments that you're unable to afford.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • MCBA | Maricopa County Bar Association
  • State Bar of Arizona
  • ABA | American bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • Oregon State bar
  • NACBA | National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
  • NACA | National Association of Consumer Advocates
  • Best Attorney Client Satisfaction Badge
Schedule A Consultation Today

Attorneys You Can Depend On And Trust

From our office in Surprise, The Dodds Law Firm, PLC, serves our clients' needs throughout the Valley. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, call 623-208-6098 or toll free at 877-827-9906. You can also contact us online.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy