As you work through the divorce process, there’s no stopping the many thoughts racing through your mind. For this reason, it’s common to believe a variety of divorce myths, all of which will complicate your situation.
Here are five of the most common divorce myths:
- Mothers always receive physical custody of the children: This may have been the case many years ago, but things have changed in today’s day and age. As a father, you can fight for physical custody.
- You don’t have to pay child support: If the court issues a child support order, you are required by law to keep up with generic ativan online payments. You can request a modification if the payment results in financial hardship, but there is no guarantee it will be approved.
- Children choose who they live with: Although the court takes into consideration the preference of each child, the court will always do what’s in their best interest.
- Divorce always results in a court battle: Even though you may not agree on every issue, there’s nothing saying that you have to end up battling each other in court.
- Mediation doesn’t work: Don’t assume that litigation is your only option. Mediation is one of the best ways to resolve all matters associated with your divorce, including those pertaining to property division and child custody.
If you begin to believe these divorce myths, among others, it will only make things more difficult on you. It’s best to stick to the facts you learn from professionals, as this puts you in the best position to protect your legal rights from beginning to end.